1939 July, "T4" ADVANCED EUTHANASIA PROGRAM
Was set up under Hitler’s orders by Hans Heinrich Lammers(1879-1962) and Phillip Bouhler(1899 – 1945). It was named for the address of Dr. Bouhler’s office in the Reich Chancellery, at 4 Tiergartenstrasse. He was assisted by Hitler’s personal physician Dr. Karl Brandt(1904 – 1948), and Dr. Victor Brack(1904-1948) who became Bouhler’s deputy. Although the Nazis had begun Euthanasia programs among the general German population earlier, the scope of T4 extended its practice of killing the “racially valueless’ to include the incurably sick and insane. Although officially the program ran between September 1939 to August 1941 in reality it continued until the end of the war. It is estimated that between 93,500 and 200,000 people were exterminated. Experiments were made with various gases and delivery installations (gas chambers). It was Bouhler's idea to disguise the gas chambers as showers as not to cause panic. The expertise gained , much of the personnel and equipment were later transferred to other camps for the "Final Solution".